Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Stick Insects

STICK INSECTS


Yesterday morning I went out onto the deck early.  I was collecting the washing as rain is forecast all week and I'm attempting to get all the laundry done (yadda yaddda yadda).  Perched on my mobile clothes line was a stick-insect, no ... two!  A mother (I presume ) with a baby catching a lift on her back. They did gril (gross) me out for a moment until I looked more closely and appreciated it.  I called to BB who came to wonder at them. We moved them onto a badminton racket head and after further inspection, transported them to a nearby tree, where the baby scurried off and mom, (missing a leg mind you), insect-shuffled along.  Stick insects are rarely seen around here, and only seem to end up on the deck after a particularly windy spell. Later in the morning BB and I were moving the car out of the garage (okay, I was reversing the car and BB was on my lap) when we saw another stick insect fly onto the trampoline, walk about a bit and then disappear again. The wings were a beautiful violet colour and I actually mistook it for a butterfly before it landed. I have since read that the females can glide but the males can fly, and that they are able to regenerate limbs.
Our afternoon drawing session involved stick insects, naturally.






No comments: